Today the exterior of Trausnitz Castle is dominated on the one hand by its medieval buildings such as the almost completely intact ring of fortifications with its walls, towers, gateway buildings and sections of the original battlements, as well as the high keep known as the Wittelsbach Tower.
With the magnificent arcaded inner courtyard, on the other hand, the castle displays its Renaissance heritage.
Plan of the castle complex;
here you will find an enlarged version of the plan (130 KB).
Trausnitz Castle in 1770, painting, State Archives Landshut (room 1)
Trausnitz Castle from the southwest with the Wittelsbacher Turm (Wittelsbach Tower), Jägerhaus (Hunters' House) and western ring wall
The Fürstentreppe (Princes' Stairway), popularly known as the "Ochsenklavier" – literally the "ox piano" – with the Pulverturm (Powder Tower) in the background
Outer gatehouse at the entrance to the castle complex
Fortified wall with wooden, roofed guards' walkway on top bordering the Zwingerweg (outer ward)
Zwingerweg with the Hungerturm (Hunger Tower)
View of the Outer Castle Courtyard through the opening by the Hungerturm, in the background the Wittelsbacher Turm
Façade of the gateway building leading to the Inner Courtyard
Schwedenwiese (Swedish Meadow) with the Falkenturm (Falcon Tower) (left) and the Waffenturm (Arsenal Tower)
Inner Castle Courtyard and main tract of the castle with the arcades ("Walkway Building") by Friedrich Sustris, 1578
| top |