Cabinet in the Italian Extension
paintings and a portrait of Renata von
Lothringen, the wife of Duke Wilhelm V.
In around 1575 Wilhelm, the ducal heir, added a rectangular extension to the west side of the Princes' Building, with the Fools' Staircase and a cabinet on each floor with a coffered and painted vault in the Italian Renaissance style. These cabinets are among the few rooms from this epoch which were relatively untouched by the fire of 1961.